The Former Township of Huron
The Township of Huron merged with the village of Lucknow and Kinloss Township to form an amalgamated community in 1999.
The sparkling waters of Lake Huron inspired the name of the former Huron Township, lying at the south-west corner of Bruce County. The former Kincardine Township sits to the north while the former Township of Kinloss lies to the east. The Pine River and its tributaries flow through the township, while the Eighteen Mile River drains a minute southern section.
This is a rich agricultural area. Several large dairy farms and cash crop farms operate in the region.
Before settlers arrived in the area, First Nations people traveled around, traveling the Pine River by canoe. A sacred burial ground was located near the mouth of the river.
The fertile farmland was covered with trees of various species including pine, beech, maple, oak and evergreens. The forests disappeared as settlers arrived in the 1800s and cleared the land for farms and settlement.
Settlement occurred initially along the shoreline as early as 1848. The sand beaches made easier traveling for the first settlers than cutting a path through the dense bush. As most settlers arrived on foot or by boat on Lake Huron from Goderich, using the beaches as roads made sense. Many families lost their possessions when the small boats they were traveling in overturned in rough water.
In 1852, a group of 109 families settled in what is now Ripley. Evicted from the Isle of Lewis in Scotland, this group is believed to be one of the largest groups to travel together and settle in one place in Canada. Although many of the settlers to the township were from the "Old Country", many others relocated from the other settled parts of Canada-what are now Ontario, Quebec and the Eastern Provinces.
In 1886, the first graveled roads appeared in the county, laying the groundwork for today's highways. Up until the early 1900s, farmers and their teams of horses laid gravel and maintained the county roads. In 1874, the first train tracks crossed the township and established the village of Ripley as a commercial centre.
The population of the township reached its peak during 1885-1890 and then began to shrink as township residents moved to Western Canada, Michigan, the Dakotas and Minnesota. With the construction of the nuclear power plant at Douglas Point, the township's population has grown with the number of employees in recent years.