Can't see this email? Click Here.
Township of Huron - Kinloss
Upcoming deadlines are July 31st and August 31st
There is still time to apply for a Spruce the Bruce Grant! Grants are available for facade improvements, awnings, signage, joint marketing and more!
Grants are eligible to businesses within the Community Improvement Areas in Lucknow and Ripley. If you are unsure whether your business is within this Area, please refer to the "Lucknow Business Info" or "Ripley Business Info" pages under Business Centre at www.huronkinloss.com
For a list of grants, guidelines and to apply, visit: www.brucecounty.on.ca/business/spruce-the-bruce/grants.php
For assistance filling out a grant application, please contact Taralyn Cronin at the municipal office 519-395-3735 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Ryanne at the Lucknow Tourism Office has been busy featuring Lucknow businesses on the Lucknow & District Chamber of Commerce Facebook Page. We have so many amazing products and services in our villages.
If your Lucknow business has not been featured yet and you would like it to be, please contact Ryanne at email@example.com and she will schedule a time to stop by and take some photos!
One grant available to business; all grants open to not-for-profit organizations
Ontario announced three new funding programs:
- Community Celebration Program – Initiatives need to comprise new activities or to amplify existing activities. Open to organizations. Maximum two applications per organization. Funding will be provided up to a maximum 75% of the initiatives total eligible cash operating expenses. Maximum funding amount is $70,000 (for a project with expenses of over $1 million). Deadline is September 2, 2016. Successful initiatives must align with one or more of the following Ontario150 priorities:
- Supporting Celebration – Build awareness, excitement and broad public participation in the 150th anniversary.
- Commemorating Success and Highlighting Talent – Celebrate and explore Ontario’s proud history and the people; places and events that shaped it
- Supporting Equal Opportunity – Celebrate the spirit of diversity, accessibility and inclusion.
- Empowering People and Communities – Build civic engagement, community pride and confidence in the future.
- Partnership Program - Supports collaborative projects that engage youth in new ways to build communities for the future as part of the celebration and commemoration of the sesquicentennial of Canada and Ontario in 2017. Open to organizations and businesses and business groups (for non-commercial purposes). Deadline is September 30, 2016. Funding will be provided up to a maximum 75% of the initiatives total eligible cash operating expenses. Maximum funding amount is $100,000.
- Community Capital Program - The Ontario150 Community Capital Program is a grant program that will strengthen communities by supporting the repair, renovation or retrofitting of existing infrastructure to better address the diverse needs of Ontario communities while fostering economic growth. Open to organizations. Supported projects will occur within one year of grant approval and be completed by March 31, 2018. Deadline is September 14, 2016. Depending on expenditures, grant will cover 50 – 75% of expenses up to a maximum of $500,000.
For more information about these grants, visit: www.ontario.ca/page/ontario150
Grant available to eligible not-for-profit organizations
Community Foundation Grey Bruce also announced a grant. Community Foundation Grey Bruce (CFGB) is encouraging applications for matching grants (up to a maximum of $15,000) from eligible organizations to mount projects marking Canada's 150th anniversary in our communities.
A total of $50,000 is available in matching dollars for projects in Grey Bruce. The fund will reward grassroots leadership and will focus on local celebrations in each community. The deadline for applications is September 30, 2016. Qualified Donees operating in Grey Bruce are eligible to apply.
For more information, visit: http://communityfoundations.ca/cfc150/application-process/
The Township of Huron-Kinloss recieved funding through the Rural Economic Development (RED) Fund last year to complete some branding exercises. We have several unique local food businesses in Huron-Kinloss and to showcase them, a special magazine featuring some of Huron-Kinloss' food and farm destinations is coming out soon!
Consider sponsoring Lucknow's largest event!
Do you want to make a difference and be involved of one of the summers best festivals? Lucknow’s Music in the Fields is looking for sponsors to partner with. Interest in the festival continues to grow, with last year’s tickets selling out in less than 60 days. With a two-day attendance of over 15,000 and over 1500 full campsites partners have a captive and interested audience.
For more information on becoming a partner, visit: www.musicinthefields.ca/become-a-partner
Walking Tour brochures are now available!
Community volunteers in partnership with the Township of Huron-Kinloss have put together two wonderful historical walking tours of Lucknow and Ripley. This project was partially funded by Spruce the Bruce.
There are 39 properties featured in Lucknow and 45 properties featured in Ripley. Properties are divided into short “Walks”. There are a number of commercial properties featured. Lucknow’s Historical Walking Tour also includes the history of the fire department and the three village cemeteries. These tours are a great way to get residents and visitors walking around our villages and downtowns.
Plaques will soon be installed on some commercial buildings downtown so that residents and visitors who do not have a brochure can read about the history of some of our businesses while walking by. Brochures are available at the Lucknow Tourism Office and at the municipal office in Ripley. They will soon be available for download at www.huronkinloss.com/historical-walking-tours.cfm
The Township of Huron-Kinloss is in the process of learning more about Canada's plan for the long-term management of used nuclear fuel, which is the responsibility of the Nuclear Waste Management Organization (NWMO). The plan, named Adaptive Phased Management requires that the used fuel be safely and securely contained and isolated from people and the environment in a deep geologic repository.
If you would like to learn more about the Adpative Phased Management project, meet NWMO staff, ask questions or offer your thoughts, please drop into the community office and Learn More Centre located at 46 Queen Street Ripley. The office is open Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 10:00a.m.to 3:00p.m.
Visit the NWMO website to learn more about the project.
The Township of Huron-Kinloss Nuclear Waste Community Advisory Committee (NWCAC) work with the NWMO and the community of Huron-Kinloss in the in the process of gathering information regarding the possibility of siting of a high-level nuclear waste Deep Geologic Repository (DGR) in Huron-Kinloss. The committee meets the first Tuesday of every month unless otherwise noted. All meetings are open to the public.
For further information about the project and the NWCAC please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Lake Huron Learning Centre has some great courses this fall!
The Business Enterprise Centre Serving Bruce County Has Lots of Resources to Start or Grow Your Business!
The Business Enterprise Centre can provide support to those looking to start a business in the following areas:
- business planning
- financial planning and management
- business registration
- permits and licenses
If you are looking to exapnd your business they can help you develop a comprehensive plan including these essential elements:
- Hiring and Human Resource Management
- New or existing Government Regulations
- Cash flow
- Managing growth
- Re Branding and Marketing
For more information, visit: www.brucecounty.on.ca/business/business-enterprise-centre.php
Bruce County Plowmen's Association Youth Education Day - Sunday, July 31
Britespan Lucknow 4-H Dairy Invitational Show - Monday, August 1
Lucknow Legion Wing Night - Saturday, August 6
Point Clark Lighthouse Festival - August 12-13
Ripley Legion Wing Night - Saturday, August 13
Ripley Food, Art, Craft Festival - Saturday, August 20
Lucknow's Music in the Fields - August 25-27
Lucknow Legion Breakfast - Saturday, August 26
More details about these and other community events are available at www.huronkinloss.com/community-events-calendar.cfm?action=calendar