Point Clark is a pretty residential community tucked into the shoreline. A quiet, sandy beach is adjacent to the lighthouse tower, perfect for a relaxing day by the water. Lighthouse Park is equipped with playground equipment and washrooms. Point Clark also has a small harbour and boat launch ramp. Four nature trails -the Point Clark Greenway Project- are accessible at various points throughout Point Clark. Cross country skiing during the winter months is a popular activity.
The Point Clark Community Centre is next door to a ball diamond (equipped with lights for night-time play), a good-sized pavilion, horseshoe pits, playground equipment and volleyball posts (bring your own net!). The community centre is a gathering place for the community. Weekly card games, shuffleboard and other activities are enjoyed by the Huron Lakeshore Friendship Club. The community centre is also the home of the Point Clark Kinsmen Club, which organizes various events throughout the year including the Canada Day fireworks at the Point Clark Harbour.
A quiet, peaceful community, Point Clark is a welcoming haven for summer residents, young families and retirees.
Point Clark History
In 1850, this area was known simply as "The Point". The name was changed to "Pine Point" because a lantern was hung from a pine tree to warn sailors of the offshore shoal in pre-lighthouse days. When, during the 1870s, settlers arrived from Clark Township, Durham County, they renamed their new-found home, Point Clark.
Point Clark is best known for its imperial lighthouse tower which warns sailors of the dangers of the reefs about 2 miles off the Lake Huron shoreline. The lantern was first lit on April 1, 1859 and there are 114 narrow steps up to the red-domed lantern room. It was the first Ontario lighthouse to be designated as a National Historic Site by Parks Canada in 1967. Tours of the lighthouse and museum (located in the former keeper's quarters) are available from mid-June to Labour Day.
The first lighthouse keeper, John Young, and his wife lived in the small, stone lightkeeper's cottage until 1878. Other businesses, such as gristmills and stores, sprung up around the lighthouse but Point Clark did not experience any serious growth. Eventually, some of the buildings were moved to other lots of land to be used as farmhouses.